About the Delaware Memorial Bridge
In April 1945 the Delaware State Highway Department was authorized to construct and operate a crossing of the Delaware River between New Castle, Delaware, and Pennsville, New Jersey. It took $44 million to build the graceful 440-foot-high span, which opened to traffic on August 15, 1951.

By 1955, nearly 8 million vehicles were crossing the bridge each year—almost double the original projection. As a result, talks about building a second bridge were soon underway, and a twin span was dedicated in 1968. Although the spans look identical, there are differences. Today, more than 80,000 vehicles cross the twin spans on their combined total of 8 lanes daily.
  First Span-NJ bound Second Span-DE bound

 

Main Spans,
Suspension Bridge

 

 

2,150 feet

 

2,150 feet

Side Spans,
Suspension Bridge

 

two at 750 feet two at 750 feet

Total length,
Suspension Bridge

 

3,650 feet 3,650 feet

 

Movement

 

Lateral:

 

 

 

Tops of Towers
Center of Main Span

 

0.65 feet
8.90 feet

 

0.53 feet
8.00 feet

Vertical: Center of Main Span 11.00 feet 10.58 feet



Longitudinal:

 



Top of Towers


2.36 feet


More Facts about The Delaware Memorial Bridge

  • The first span provided a Delaware River crossing for 17 years.
  • 3 days after the second span was opened in 1968, the first span closed for more than a year for a major overhaul.
  • Both spans became available to traffic on December 29, 1969.
  • 500,000,000 vehicles crossed the twin span in its first 31 years. 
  • The largest single day of bridge traffic saw 72,249 private and commercial vehicles cross the bridge one-way on November 29, 1998.
  • The largest single weekend for traffic totals saw 194,199 vehicles cross the bridge one-way—July 24–26, 1998.
  • On December 18, 2012, the Delaware Memorial Bridge recorded its one billionth toll transaction.